Wondering how to get to Santorini from Athens, London, Scotland, the US, Mykonos and other Greek islands? Wonder no more. Below you will find all the information you need 😉
Located in the Aegean Sea, only 200 km southeast of Athens, Santorini is one of Greece’s most popular islands and amongst the world’s top island destinations.
This tiny island of just 76Km2 is booming with tourists, culture and food lovers, honeymooners and families, who arrive daily either by air and sea.
Because of its geographical position, most of Santorini’s visitors include a quick stop in Athens and/or Mykonos in their itinerary.
Getting to Santorini from those two places isn’t complicated. There are direct flights to Santorini from Athens and other European cities, such as London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris and Rome. From Mykonos and other Greek islands, the best way is taking the ferry, but if you prefer to fly, you might need to connect in Athens. There are also ferries from Athens to Santorini.
I’ve had the opportunity to visit Santorini twice. The first time in 2014 I wasn’t really sure of how to get to Santorini from Paris and flew to the island with a connection in Athens, and the second I flew from London to Athens, spent some days in the capital, and then flew to Santorini.
On my second visit I also spent some time in Folegandros, and after that I took a ferry to Santorini.
I can tell you that arriving in Santorini by ferry is amazing. Seeing the whitewashed houses and blue-domed churches perched on the cliffs is truly breathtaking.
How to Get to Santorini
While considering how to get to Santorini, is important to know that there are more than 20 daily flights from Athens to Santorini and over 9 daily ferries during the summer months. But these numbers decrease drastically in the winter.
There are also no direct flight to Santorini from the US, Canada, Middle East and Asia.
* Direct flights from other European capitals are only available during the summer season – out of season you have to go through Athens
How to Get to Santorini From Athens
You can get to Santorini from Athens in two different ways: by plane or ferry.
– Take one of the Athens to Santorini flights with Ryanair, Aegean Airlines, Olympic, Sky Express or Volotea.
– The first flight departs at 5h05min and the last at 23h15min.
– The journey takes less than 30min and costs from 30€ to 230€, depend on how far in advance you book your ticket.
– From Santorini International Airport to Fira, the island’s capital, takes only 10min.
View this post on Instagram
I’m very happy to be back to Greece after almost five years 😃🙏🏽🇬🇷😇 and I’m sharing everything on my stories 😉😉 Don’t miss it 😘 Super feliz por estar de volta à Grécia depois de quase cinco anos 😃🙏🏽🇬🇷😇 e estou contando tudo da viagem nos stories 😉😉 não deixem de conferir 😘 #7continents1passport #wiwt #menwithclass #fashionista #mensfashion #men #manfashion #homemcomestilo #modamasculina #travelbloggerlife #blogueiro #blogger #fashionaddict #whatiwore #fashiondaily #outfitoftheday #lookdodia #beautifulmatters #blogueirosdeviagens #mensweardaily #menstagram #menswear #menfashion #may19chegou #grecia #greece #homemmoderno #blogueiro #travelblogger
The Athens to Santorini ferries run from two different ports: Piraeus and Rafina.
– If you are already at Athens International Airport, it’s closer and faster taking the ferry from Rafina Port.
– From the airport to Rafina you can take a taxi or a bus.
– The public bus, (KTEL), runs approximately every hour, from 04h40min to 20h45min. Tickets can be purchased direct from the bus driver and the price is 3€ one-way. The journey will take approximately 40 minutes.
– Taxis costs around 30€ and takes around 20min.
– Rafina doesn’t have as many ferries as Piraeus. In fact there are only two ferries from Rafina Port to Santorini, at 7h15min and 07h55min.
– The first ferry takes 6h45min and costs 45€, and the second one takes 8h35min and costs 35€.
– If you’re in central Athens, it’s easier and faster to take the ferry to Santorini from Piraeus Port.
– The best way to get from central Athens to the ferry port is by metro. It takes around 30min and costs 1.40€.
– You can also go by bus: the regular buses take 50min and cost 1.40€; and the express ones (X80 or X96) takes 30min and costs 5€.
– Taxis from Athens city center to Piraeus Port costs around 25€ and takes 25min under normal traffic conditions.
– The gates to the ferries to Santorini and other Cyclades Islands are direct across the street from the metro station between gates E6 and E8.
– The first ferry departs at 07h00 and the last at 21h30min.
– Traveling from Piraeus Port to Santorini takes from 4h30min to 9h30min and prices range from 39€ (US$ 45) to 80€ (US$ 88), depending on the type of ferry (regular or express).
By your ticket online in advance with BookaWay, the website that I use and trust.
How to Get to Santorini from Mykonos
– There aren’t direct flights from Mykonos to Santorini. You will need to change flights in Athens.
– The best ways to get to Santorini from Mykonos is by ferry.
– The first ferry departs at 9h55min and the last at 15h50min.
– The journey takes from 1h45min up to 4h and princes range between 38€ to 67€.
– There are also smaller ferries departing from Mykonos Old Port (walking distance from Mykonos town).
* From other Greek islands, such as Crete and Rode, for example, you might need to change flights in Athens as well, but it can change year by year.
How to Get to Santorini from London
– Take one of the direct flights from London to Santorini with British Airways, Easy Jet or Norwegian Airlines (Saturdays only).
– The direct flight to Santorini from London takes around 4h.
-Alternatively you can fly from London to Athens with British Airways, Aegean Airlines, Wizz, Easy Jet and Ryanair and then take another flight or a ferry to Santorini.
-The cheapest way to get to Santorini from London is by making a stop in Athens.
-Wizz and Ryanair have the cheapest flights from London to Athens.
-To get to Santorini from Athens take another airplane or the ferry.
How to Get to Santorini from Scotland
– There aren’t direct flights from Scotland to Santorini.
– You can fly direct from Edinburgh to Athens with Aegean Airlines or Easy Jet and then take another flight or ferry to Santorini.
– There aren’t direct flights from Glasgow to Athens.
How to Get to Santorini from the US
– There aren’t direct flights from the US to Santorini.
– You need to take a flight to Athens followed by another flight or a ferry to Santorini.
– Alternatively you can fly to another European hub, such as Rome, London, Paris, Madrid or Frankfurt, from where you can take a direct flight to Santorini.
* How to Get to Santorini from Canada? The same as for the USA 😉
Tours from Athens to Santorini
If you don’t have too much time to organize your holiday in Greece but still would like to visit Santorini, you can take a tour to Santorini departing from Athens.
This might be a cheap and easy way for those who want to visit Santorini from Athens, because everything is included in the package: hotel accommodation with breakfast, economy round-trip ferry ticketsand port transfers in Athens and Santorini.
You will stay in a 3-star hotel on Kamari or Perissa (two of the best beach towns on the island) and have around 24h to explore Santorini and visit some of its most romantic and iconic spots.
You can spend the rest of your afternoon relaxing on the beach, see the sunset in Oia, enjoy the nightlife in Fira (if you’re not too tired) and the next morning you will have plenty of time to visit the towns of Imerovigli, Firostefani and Fira.
Click here to check prices and availability.
Other Tours from Athens that you might be interested:
Getting to Santorini: Flights, Ferries, Best and Quick Ways
If you still have doubts planning how to get to Santorini, here are the final answers to your questions:
What airport do you fly into to go to Santorini?
Santorini Island Airport also known as Thira Airport (JTR), located on the east side of the island close to the city of Kamari is the only airport in Santorini.
From the airport to the capital Fira, takes around 10min, the same to Kamari and to Oia it takes 25min.
What airlines fly to Santorini?
Aegean and Olympic have an average of 10 daily flights to Santorini during the high season. The first is at 5h05min and the last at 22h35min. This is the best airline to fly into Santorini from Athens.
Ryanair offers cheap flights to Santorini, but there are only two daily flights and the departure times aren’t that great. One flight departs at 07h00 and the other at 23h15min. Flight times change after the end of the summer and there aren’t flights from November to early March.
Sky Express offer 8 daily flights and Volotea 3 during the summer months.
Ryanair has the cheapest flights from Athens to Santorini.
During the winter there aren’t direct flights from Western Europe to Santorini though.
You can compare prices and find the best deals with Skyscanner, the website that I use and trust.
Ferries from Athens to Santorini
The ferry companies that travel between Athens and Santorini are Blue Star, Sea Jets, Golden Star, Olympus and Zante. The last two offer overnight ferries with sleep cabins.
Blue Star is the best and cheapest ferry from Athens to Santorini. It’s a huge vessel and the ride is stable. But it’s a long journey (8h).
The fastest is the World Super Jet operated by Sea Jets. But it can be quite a bumpy ride. So if you’re worried about seasickness, it is better to take the slower one.
How long is the ferry ride from Athens to Santorini?
From Athens to Santorini by ferry takes between 4h30min (the speed ferry) and 9h30min (the slowest one).
What is best way to get to Santorini from Athens?
The quickest and best way to get to Santorini from Athens is by airplane.
Even though they say that the travel time is 55min, in reality it doesn’t take more than 30min.
What is the cheapest way to get to Santorini from Athens?
Believe or not, it’s also by plane, but only if you buy your ticket in advance.
Ryanair has tickets for less than 30€, but bear in mind that if you book the early morning flight and travel to airport by bus, you might need to wake up around 4h.
If you buy a last minute ticket, then the cheapest way to get to Santorini from Athens is the conventional car ferry.
- Buy your ferry ticket from Athens to Santorini in advance here.
How to get from Santorini Port to Fira, Oia and other towns on the island
All ferries arrive in Santorini at the Athinios Port.
Getting from the port to any town is easy and should not take more than 30min.
From the port you can take a bus, taxi or transfer to the main towns. The bus costs 2€ and takes an average of 20min to Fira. If you are staying in another town, you need to changes buses at Fira Bus Terminal.
A taxi will cost 1at least 15€ to Fira and 25€ to Oia.
You can book your shared arrival transfer from Santorini National Airport to your hotel or cruise port with a discount here; and your Private Departure Transfer: Santorini Hotels to Airport or Ferry Port here from US$ 16,50.
I really recommend that you hire a car while in Santorini. It’s much easier and convenient and you can pick up you car at Athinios Port.
Now that you know about all the possibilities of how to get to Santorini, what are you waiting for to start planning your trip?
No matter if you take an airplane or ferry, Santorini will certainly amaze you.
Safe travels and have fun in Greece.
MORE CONTENT ABOUT GREECE:
- Where to Stay in Santorini: A Guide to the Best Places
- 7 Reviews Santorini Hotels for All Budgets
- 7 Best Things to do in Santorini
- 7 Best Things to do in Imerovigli
- Best Bars & Clubs in Fira – Video
- Folegandros: 10 Pictures to Inspire you to Visit Greece’s Best Kept Secret
I always recommend that you buy travel insurance! It can literally be your lifeline with something happens to you, or if your luggage is lost or stolen.
Planning a Trip to Santorini
Where is Santorini?
Santorini is an island in the southern Aegean Sea, about 200 km (120 mi) southeast of Greece’s mainland (check map here).
Best time to go to Santorini?
The best time to visit Santorini is from May to September when the sun is shining, the temperatures are high and chances of rain are minimal.
To avoid crowds pick the months of May and September, because the weather in Santorini is still good at this time of the year.
There are several companies offering tours as it’s one of best things to do in Santorini in one day. I recommend booking your tour online in advance with Viator, a TripAdvisor company, or Get Your Guide, that offer many different tours.
Some interesting Santorini tours are:
- Santorini Full-Day Sightseeing Tour and Santorini Volcano Cruise Including Hot Springs, Thirasia and Oia Sunset
More tour options with Get your Guide:
- Aluguel de Carros:Pesquise, compare e economize
- Bookaway:Pegue um ônibus, barco, trem ou carro para as melhores localizações do mundo
- Booking:Encontre as melhores ofertas de acomodações
- GetYourGuide:Reserve experiências inesquecíveis em todo o mundo
- SegurosPromo:Compare e encontre o melhor seguro viagem