When we think about Greek islands, I believe Santorini is the first one that comes in everyone’s mind. This group of volcanic islands in the Aegean Sea is considered one of the most beautiful islands in the world.
I visited Santorini in August 2014, and flew from Paris with a connection in Athens. I loved Santorini !!
The main island has an incredible landscape dotted with white-washed houses on the top of cliffs, and it’s extremely beautiful…
Santorini is a perfect combination of archeological sites, exotic beaches, an active volcano, breathtaking sunsets that are all part of its romantic and picturesque scenery.
Some of the attractions are:
- Fira town: very charming and one of the most important town in Santorini. There are of lot of restaurants and stores in this area. The bus terminal which serves the whole island is located here.
- Path from Fira to Oia: there is a 10K path from Fira to Oia overlooking the caldera (volcano) and providing stunning vistas.
- Akrotiri Archeological Site: a Minoan Bronze Age settlement destroyed around the 1600 BC. It’s much more interesting if you hire a guide when you visit this archeological site.
- Red sand beach: a very rare and exotic beach. Because there is no much room for sunbathing many people go there to just take a look at.
- Black sand beach: there are two black sand beaches in Santorini: Perissa and Kamari. If you visit the island, you should go to at least one of them.
- Nea Cameni (volcano): there is an active volcano in Santorini and you can do a hike to visit it. Which is not easy by the way, because of the heat and the harsh terrain.
- Hot Spring: it might seems too crazy going a hot spring in the middle of the Aegean Sea, but the water here is so nice that you will not want to leave it.
- Therasia: perfect for chilling in and getting away from the crowds.
- Oia (Ia): the most famous and beautiful part of Santorini, full of white-washed houses and blue domed churches. This city is very touristy and expensive comparing with the other ones.
- Watch the sunset: every day people gather to watch the sunset, which is claim to be most beautiful in the world. The sunset in Santorini is really a big thing and if you are in Oia and want a great spot you need to get there in advance, specially by the castle.
- Archeological Museum of Thera: a small museu with an important collections of vases and artefacts from the ancient times.
- You may also be interested: 5 Reasons to Visit Meteora
MORE CONTENT ABOUT GREECE IN THE BLOG:
- How to Get to Santorini from Athens, Mykonos, London, US…
- Where to stay in Santorini: A Guide to the Best Places
- Reviews of 7 Santorini Hotels for All Budgets
- Folegandros: 10 Pictures to Inspire you to Visit Greece’s Best Kept Secret
- Bars & Clubs in Fira – Video
- 7 Best Things to Do in Imerovigli
- Book Your Flight Find deals on airlines on my favorite search engine: Skyscanner. Be sure to read my How to find cheap flights article.
- Rent A Car Rental Cars is a great site for comparing car prices to find the best deal.
- Book Accommodation Booking.com is my favorite hotel search engine. But Hotels.com and Hilton Hotels have very interesting reward programs. If you prefer to rent locals’ apartment, the best option is undoubtedly Airbnb. Here is US$ 30 credit towards your fist booking.
- Protect Your Trip Don’t forget travel insurance! I always use World Nomads for short-term trips and SafetyWing for long-term ones. Find out why Travel Insurance: Much More Than a Precaution, a Necessity.
- Book Tours in Advance Book unforgettable experiences and skip-the-line tickets with GetYourGuide or Viator .
- Book Ground Transportation BookaWay offers a stress-free experience with secure payments and no hidden fees. You pay online and receive your itinerary by email.
- Luggage Solutions Rent your luggage with Cargo or if you need to drop off your own luggage and enjoy your time without dragging it all over a city, find a LuggageHero shop here.
- Get a Travel Card Revolut Card is a pre-paid debit card that enables cash machine withdrawals in 120 countries. I’ve been using my Revolut Card for over a year and never paid foreign-transaction fees again. Get your Revolut Card with free shipping here.
- Packing Guide Check out my How to Pack a Carry-on Luggage For a Five-month Trip to help you start packing for your trip. Don’t forget your camera, chargers and other useful travel accessories.