How to fly business class with TAP Portugal
Traveling to Europe once again from Brazil, I had a long-haul flight from São Paulo to Amsterdam, with KLM, and then another 2:40 from Amsterdam to Lisbon with TAP Portugal.
The Airbus A319 had 3 rows with 3 seats on each side for the business class, but only 12 of those seats (aisle and window) were available for passengers.
The seats were very comfortable with enough legroom for my long legs (I’m 6.1’), but the seats reclined only as much as the seats in the economy class.
Just after the airplane had taken off and the seatbelt sign switched off the flight attendant came by with the menu and asked if I wanted a blanket and a pillow. I really missed being welcomed with a glass of sparkling wine as soon as I had a seat as other companies used to do.
Even though it was only a 2:40 flight TAP served a full meal for the business class. The menu in four languages had smoked salmon and green salad as an appetizer, two options for the main course (pasta or beef) and dessert.
The wine list had great options with an emphasis on Portuguese wines, and my favorites were the red Dona Maria, from Alentejo, and W&J Graham’s sweet port wine. But they also had beers, soft drinks, vodka and whisky.
A flight attendant took my order, and after the sparkling wine and a mix of nuts, she served the meal. The food served came in the right temperature, tasty and enough to make me full.
[button link=”https://www.tenthousandstrangers.com/free-hotel-stay-voucher/” icon=”hospital-o” bg_color=”#00566c” window=”yes”]Suggested Read: How to Score Free Hotel Stay Voucher from Your Airline During Long Layover[/button]
There was a crew member only for the business class who was very attentive and friendly. The service was just outstanding!
It is impossible not to notice the difference between the service in the economy and the business classes. The customer service is more personal and careful which makes flying in first or business class a more enjoyable and pleasurable experience.
I really missed some entertainment on board. The flight attendant told me that TAP is deciding which model of entertainment they will use and right now for the Airbuses there isn’t any entertainment. I hope that they can figure it out soon.
- If you’re traveling to the capital of Portugal, here you can find a 2-day itinerary for Lisbon.
With no TV or movies to watch, I ended up reading TAP’s magazine and taking a nap after lunch.
The flight was very smooth and I was very glad to fly business class with TAP Portugal for the first time. If you can afford it or upgrade with miles, it’s totally worthwhile. It was great to be in Portugal visiting friends and family and enjoying some of the most beautiful beaches in Algarve.
- Book Your Flight Find deals on airlines on my favorite search engine: Skyscanner. Be sure to read my How to find cheap flights article.
- Rent A Car Rental Cars is a great site for comparing car prices to find the best deal.
- Book Accommodation Booking.com is my favorite hotel search engine. But Hotels.com and Hilton Hotels have very interesting reward programs. If you prefer to rent locals’ apartment, the best option is undoubtedly Airbnb. Here is US$ 30 credit towards your fist booking.
- Protect Your Trip Don’t forget travel insurance! I always use World Nomads for short-term trips and SafetyWing for long-term ones. Find out why Travel Insurance: Much More Than a Precaution, a Necessity.
- Book Tours in Advance Book unforgettable experiences and skip-the-line tickets with GetYourGuide or Viator .
- Book Ground Transportation BookaWay offers a stress-free experience with secure payments and no hidden fees. You pay online and receive your itinerary by email.
- Luggage Solutions Rent your luggage with Cargo or if you need to drop off your own luggage and enjoy your time without dragging it all over a city, find a LuggageHero shop here.
- Get a Travel Card Revolut Card is a pre-paid debit card that enables cash machine withdrawals in 120 countries. I’ve been using my Revolut Card for over a year and never paid foreign-transaction fees again. Get your Revolut Card with free shipping here.
- Packing Guide Check out my How to Pack a Carry-on Luggage For a Five-month Trip to help you start packing for your trip. Don’t forget your camera, chargers and other useful travel accessories.