Oahu is the mainland island of Hawaii, the most populated and important one. Its capital, Honolulu, is the busiest and largest city among all the Hawaiian Islands.
And however Honolulu is too big and busy to be considered a paradise, whether in Oahu or in the other islands you will find your own piece of paradise on Earth.
I went to Hawaii for the first time in September of 2012 and I fell in love so bad that I went back to Hawaii in February of 2013. Hawaii is much more than a surf meca and beautiful beaches. There are many things to do in Oahu including: hikes, canyons, volcanos, swim with dolphins, museums, waterfalls and of course otherworldly beaches.
Hawaii is one of my favorite places on Earth undoubtedly!
Things to do in Oahu
- Waikiki Beach: the most popular beach in Hawaii and the one with the easiest access. The water is pristine, the view is wonderful and it’s a perfect beach to learn to surf and to take the whole family.
- Diamond Head: an extinct volcano in the middle of the city. Good spot for hiking, getting a bird-eye of the city and watching the sunrise.
- Hanauma Bay: one of the best beaches on Oahu and places for snorkeling in Hawaii.
- Halona Blowhole: became famous after the movie Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Sandy Beach: a surf paradise with strong and dangerous waves.
Considered one of the most beautiful beach in the world. It’s not in vain that Mr. president Barack Obama spends his vacation in this area.
Another gorgeous beach in Oahu, located close to Lanikai.
Nu’anu Pali Lookout
One of the most scenic points in Oahu.
- Waimea Bay Beach: known for its giant waves and cliff jumping.
- Waimea Valley: a World Class Botanical Gardens and Historical Site.
- If you’re planning a trip to Hawaii check these posts out:
- WHY OAHU IS THE BEST ISLAND TO VISIT IN HAWAII FOR FIRST TIME!
- INSIDE SECRETS TO TRAVEL LIKE A LOCAL ON OAHU
- WHERE TO STAY IN HAWAII: CHOOSE THE BEST ISLAND FOR YOU
- EXPLORE MAUI, HAWAII – YOUR GUIDE TO TOP ATTRACTIONS AND DINING
- Book Your Flight Find deals on airlines on my favorite search engine: Skyscanner. Be sure to read my How to find cheap flights article.
- Rent A Car Rental Cars is a great site for comparing car prices to find the best deal.
- Book Accommodation Booking.com is my favorite hotel search engine. But Hotels.com and Hilton Hotels have very interesting reward programs. If you prefer to rent locals’ apartment, the best option is undoubtedly Airbnb. Here is US$ 30 credit towards your fist booking.
- Protect Your Trip Don’t forget travel insurance! I always use World Nomads for short-term trips and SafetyWing for long-term ones. Find out why Travel Insurance: Much More Than a Precaution, a Necessity.
- Book Tours in Advance Book unforgettable experiences and skip-the-line tickets with GetYourGuide or Viator .
- Book Ground Transportation BookaWay offers a stress-free experience with secure payments and no hidden fees. You pay online and receive your itinerary by email.
- Luggage Solutions Rent your luggage with Cargo or if you need to drop off your own luggage and enjoy your time without dragging it all over a city, find a LuggageHero shop here.
- Get a Travel Card Revolut Card is a pre-paid debit card that enables cash machine withdrawals in 120 countries. I’ve been using my Revolut Card for over a year and never paid foreign-transaction fees again. Get your Revolut Card with free shipping here.
- Packing Guide Check out my How to Pack a Carry-on Luggage For a Five-month Trip to help you start packing for your trip. Don’t forget your camera, chargers and other useful travel accessories.