Isla de Sol is an island in the southern part of Lake Titicaca, the largest lake in South America and also the highest navigable lake in the world.
The island provides reasonable infrastructure, restaurants, small hotels, inca ruins, hiking, stunning views and to justify its name, a lot of sun.
Cars are not allowed on Isla del Sol so you have to walk around, which is not going to be a problem if you consider the magnificent views. The hike path is 8 Km (5mi) long and because of the high altitude (3812m above sea level) it can take at least 3h to be done.
Isla del Sol is perfect for relaxing and spending one or two days “away from the civilization.”
From Isla del Sol you can visit some floating islands that are very famous in this area.
[button link=”https://www.compassandfork.com/what-makes-lake-titicaca-so-special/” icon=”bullhorn” bg_color=”#00566c” window=”yes”]Further read: Do you know what makes Lake Titicaca so special?[/button]
∗ If you want to know more about Lake Titicaca and don’t know which side (Peruvian or Bolivian) take a look at Probe Around the World and read Peruvian or Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca.
- Book Your Flight Find deals on airlines on my favorite search engine: Skyscanner. Be sure to read my How to find cheap flights article.
- Rent A Car Rental Cars is a great site for comparing car prices to find the best deal.
- Book Accommodation Booking.com is my favorite hotel search engine. But Hotels.com and Hilton Hotels have very interesting reward programs. If you prefer to rent locals’ apartment, the best option is undoubtedly Airbnb. Here is US$ 30 credit towards your fist booking.
- Protect Your Trip Don’t forget travel insurance! I always use World Nomads for short-term trips and SafetyWing for long-term ones. Find out why Travel Insurance: Much More Than a Precaution, a Necessity.
- Book Tours in Advance Book unforgettable experiences and skip-the-line tickets with GetYourGuide or Viator .
- Book Ground Transportation BookaWay offers a stress-free experience with secure payments and no hidden fees. You pay online and receive your itinerary by email.
- Luggage Solutions Rent your luggage with Cargo or if you need to drop off your own luggage and enjoy your time without dragging it all over a city, find a LuggageHero shop here.
- Get a Travel Card Revolut Card is a pre-paid debit card that enables cash machine withdrawals in 120 countries. I’ve been using my Revolut Card for over a year and never paid foreign-transaction fees again. Get your Revolut Card with free shipping here.
- Packing Guide Check out my How to Pack a Carry-on Luggage For a Five-month Trip to help you start packing for your trip. Don’t forget your camera, chargers and other useful travel accessories.