The Algarve is Portugal’s southernmost region, considered to be the biggest and most important Portuguese tourist region and known for its outstanding Mediterranean beaches and golf resorts which makes it a very popular destination for British and Spanish holidaymakers.
The area of 4,977 km² incorporates 16 municipalities and the most important cities are Faro, the capital, and Lagos and Albufeira.
The first time I went to Algarve was in 2008 and I just fell in love with it, returning several times since then to visit friends and family and especially enjoy the beaches.
Last year I visited some of the most beautiful beaches in Algarve and made this video so you can have an idea what expect when you visit one of Portugal’s most enchanting regions.
The first beach is Praia Dona Ana in Lagos, which was named the best beaches in the world by Conde Nast Traveller in 2013. Here you can relax, go kayaking, do stand up paddle boarding or take a boat trip to visit caves and other beaches nearby.
The second beach is Praia do Camilo and the views from its cliffs are just breathtaking!!
You can access the beach by a wood stairway that is also a great spot for pictures.
Praia do Camilo is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful beaches in Algarve!
The last beach is Praia da Marinha. Even though I don’t have a lot footage of this beach, you will still be able to see why it’s on my list and video.
The Algarve is also popular for religious tourism, notably pilgrimages to the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Piety near Loulé, a Marian shrine dedicated to the patron saint of that city, and Our Lady Mother of Goodness, reportedly the site of several apparitions of the Virgin, near São Marcos da Serra.
Press play and enjoy the video.
Most posts about the Algarve that might interest you:
- Algarve Itinerary: 3/5/7 Days Must-see Beaches & Towns
- 12 Cool & Unusual Things to Do in Algarve
- 10 Best Things to Do in Algarve with Kids
- 7 Most Beautiful Beaches in Albufeira
- Book Your Flight Find deals on airlines on my favorite search engine: Skyscanner. Be sure to read my How to find cheap flights article.
- Rent A Car Rental Cars is a great site for comparing car prices to find the best deal.
- Book Accommodation Booking.com is my favorite hotel search engine. But Hotels.com and Hilton Hotels have very interesting reward programs. If you prefer to rent locals’ apartment, the best option is undoubtedly Airbnb. Here is US$ 30 credit towards your fist booking.
- Protect Your Trip Don’t forget travel insurance! I always use World Nomads for short-term trips and SafetyWing for long-term ones. Find out why Travel Insurance: Much More Than a Precaution, a Necessity.
- Book Tours in Advance Book unforgettable experiences and skip-the-line tickets with GetYourGuide or Viator .
- Book Ground Transportation BookaWay offers a stress-free experience with secure payments and no hidden fees. You pay online and receive your itinerary by email.
- Luggage Solutions Rent your luggage with Cargo or if you need to drop off your own luggage and enjoy your time without dragging it all over a city, find a LuggageHero shop here.
- Get a Travel Card Revolut Card is a pre-paid debit card that enables cash machine withdrawals in 120 countries. I’ve been using my Revolut Card for over a year and never paid foreign-transaction fees again. Get your Revolut Card with free shipping here.
- Packing Guide Check out my How to Pack a Carry-on Luggage For a Five-month Trip to help you start packing for your trip. Don’t forget your camera, chargers and other useful travel accessories.